How to Remove Negative Energy from Your Home and Body
It’s easy to notice when bad vibes linger in your home. Negative energy from arguments or illness can accumulate in shared spaces such as living rooms, kitchens and dens. Your home can be clean and organized but still have a heavy feeling. Even if you’re not a trained Zen master, the subtle frequencies of energy can be felt if you pay attention. A cleansed and energized room should feel light, fresh, and inviting when you enter. Like anything in life, learning how to get rid of negative energy takes daily pratice, so make sage house cleaning, healing crystals, and other practices an everyday habit for the best results.
How to cleanse a house
When you learn how to cleanse a house of negative energy, you’ll be able to experience tranquility and harmony in your domestic life. Drawing on the ancient techniques of indigenous cultures around the world, we’ve traded in our synthetic fragrances and petroleum-based cleaners for some of our go-to space cleansing essentials such as Sage, Frankincense, Copal, and our favorite, healing crystals. When you make the extra effort, it will be worth it when you and your family feel more balanced and clear.
With these techniques, you only need 5 to 10 minutes a day to truly transform the energy of the space. If you collect crystals, a pure and cleansed environment is also essential for enhancing their healing energy. In fact, we recommend that you remove negative energy and cleansing your space before bringing crystals into your home, which will help amplify the energy that is already there.
Remove Negative Energy from Your Home and Body
If you notice bad vibes in your home, there are several techniques you can use to remove negative energy. Toxins coming in from the outside and from within your space can be instantly neutralized and absorbed with a sage house cleansing practice. A real home is a place you can retreat from the hectic pace of the modern world to rest and rejuvenate the mind-body-spirit. Make cleansing with sage part of your everyday life, and you’ll have an easy and effective remedy for clearing away any lower vibrational energy that enters your space.
One of the easiest and quickest ways to for getting rid of negative energy, Sage had been considered a sacred plant by Native Americans for thousands of years. Burning sage was used for many purposes, such as energy cleansing, ritual ceremonies, and healing. Today, burning sage is used by medicine people all over the world to help restore vitality and health. It has the power to neutralize negative energy by burning away any unwanted energy and carrying it away with its smoke.
How to Burn Sage
If you’re wondering how to cleanse your home with sage, the method we use is super easy. Our sage cleansing kit has everything you need for a spiritual cleansing practice. The abalone shell can be used as a receptacle and ashtray for various cleansing tools such as a sage stick, Frankincense, and Palo Santo wood. In order to protect the beautiful iridescent luster of mother-of-pearl, we recommend placing a small amount of white sand at the bottom of the shell, which will also help put out the burning sage quickly and easily. After several uses, the sand can be replaced for a fresh cleansing session with sage or other cleansing tools.
First, make sure all doors and windows are open so that the negative energy can leave your home. Then light the sage for 30 seconds and blow on it, which will create enough smoke for cleansing and neutralizing any toxins. Using the feather in our sage cleansing kit, waft the smoke into the corners, ceilings, and other small areas of your home, especially since these places can accumulate negative energy over time. We like to start our sage cleansing practice at the front door, which helps keep out negative energy from the outside.
Holding the sage stick, follow the perimeter of the door and work your way around the edge of each room, paying special attention to areas where there were arguments, such as living rooms and bedrooms. To go even deeper with your cleansing, you can also say a mantra out loud, which will resonate with your heart and also enhance the energy field with the sounds of your voice.
You can also take this time to enhance the healing powers of your crystal collection by cleansing them with sage smoke while also reinforcing the intention you have programmed for each one. Simply hold each crystal in your hand and let the sage smoke completely envelop it. Then, ask the sacred wisdom of the plant to purify and cleanse the stone for the maximum benefit of its recharged and activated frequencies.
You can make your sage cleansing routine even more powerful when you include the smoke of the sacred Palo Santo wood, which helps balance the earthy and woodsy smell of white sage with a sweet, honey-like aroma. Burning Palo Santo is similar to sage, but it needs to be blown on more often in order to maintain its trail of smoke. After you light the stick of wood, wait until you see a flame and then start blowing on it continuously while you walk around the perimeter of each room.
Using the feather in our sage spiritual cleansing kit, make sure to waft smoke into hallways, closets, and other tight spaces where energy can get stagnant. While you’re at it, go into the bathroom and burn sage and Palo Santo under the toilet seats and tight corners. Finish your sage spiritual cleansing session at the back door and then put out the embers of the sage stick. Or, you can also let it slowly burn out if you need an extra dose of cleansing. When you walk to your home, you’ll be able to notice the subtle difference of a cleansed and balanced space.
Another sweet smelling tool for spiritual cleansing is Frankincense, which can enhance the purifying powers of sage and Palo Santo even more. Also called “the Transformer,” Frankincense has strong detoxifying and purifying properties and a sweet aroma that helps to absorb negative energy. Also nicknamed “Liquid Gold,” Frankincense is known in some cultures to provide protection, elevate spiritual awareness, and ease feelings of stress and anxiety.
If your home has experienced any illnesses or heated arguments, we advise using a combination of cleansing tools on a daily basis, including a white sage stick, Palo Santo wood, and Frankincense. For an extra dose of cleansing, Copal incense is another sacred healing tool that has been used since ancient times. In fact, Copal was discovered in the burial grounds of the Mayan and Aztec ruins, making it one of the oldest forms of sacred energy cleansing. It comes from the trees in the Buresa family, which contains resin that is known to have powerful medicinal properties.
If you are sensitive to smoke or live in an apartment where it isn’t allowed, the essential oils of white sage and Palo Santo can be combined in a spray bottle with purified water. You can enhance this cleansing spray even more by infusing the water with the healing properties of raw crystals such as Rose Quartz and Aquamarine, two of our favorite gemstones for the heart chakra.
10 Steps to Cleanse Your Home of Negative Energy (in 10 minutes or less!)
Yes, it’s that easy. And the benefits can be felt almost immediately. You might not be able to see the dust of energy accumulating in your home, but if you don’t occasionally cleanse it, this invisible layer of toxins can affect how you and others see your environment. If you walk into a room that gives you an uncomfortable feeling you can’t quite explain, it’s a sign that you need to clear and transform negative energy into high energetic frequencies.
After a cleansing practice, the space should feel renewed and full of life. But when it is clogged with old or negative energy, the space can give off an unwelcome feeling. Don’t let the vibrant energy of your home become dull by not keeping it regularly cleansed and balanced. If you're wondering how to get rid of negative energy, keep your sanctuary from feeling heavy and stagnant by combining these basic Feng Shui principles with healing crystals and other cleansing techniques. Try these cleansing practices several times a week and get ready to invite good fortune, prosperity, and positive vibes into your life.
Share this Image On Your Site
- First, open the doors and windows so that negative energy has a place to escape. This will also help ventilate your home in order to release excess sage smoke.
- Do a quick sweep of the entrances to your home and a light dusting around the house. When your home sparkles, your spirit is sure to follow. Like the proverb says, the outside reflects what is inside, so when your home is cleaned and organized, it sets the stage for deeper cleansing that can be done with healing crystals and other sacred tools.
- Do a sage cleansing starting at the front door. Light a sage stick for 30 seconds and gently blow on it until a large amount of smoke begins to billow upwards. Hold an abalone shell or heat resistant container to catch any fallen embers and also for ashing out the sage stick after use.When burning sage, we recommend walking clockwise around your home, making sure to let the smoke reach all corners, including closets and other tight spaces. Use a feather to waft smoke all the way up to ceilings and in small corners will help fill your home with smoke. Simply keep the windows and doors open to allow proper ventilation so that the toxins can easily flow out. You should also sage the bathroom, including under the toilet seats and all the corners of the space.Bonus tip: As you cleanse each room with burning sage, say a special cleansing mantra or intention out loud, which will amplify its cleansing powers.
- Use sound to clear and cleanse. If your environment is too quiet, it can feel hollow and empty (and not in a good way). In combination with sage and crystals, sound vibrations are a powerful way to clear the energy of a room and raise its energetic vibration.Healing sounds can break apart dense or heavy energy that is lowering the energy in your home. A singing bowl uses sound to create a healing effect with gentle vibrations that can be felt on both a physical and spiritual level. You can also combine these soothing sounds with sage smoke, a powerful pairing for breaking up stuck energy.
- Bring in Palo Santo smoke. This sacred wood is especially healing because it fills a cleared space with beautiful, positive energy. Also called “the aromatic,” it’s slightly sweet and relaxing smell has been used for thousands of years. An ancient healing wood, Palo Santo is known to bestow blessings of love and positive energy. It is best used after a sage cleansing to raise the energetic vibration and fill the space with good vibes.
- Burn frankincense and copal. adding Frankincense and Copal to your sage cleansing practice serves as a triple threat to bad energy. To burn Frankincense or Copal, simply place a charcoal disk or incense cone on a fireproof container. Then, light it on fire until you see it covered in flickering embers. Gently blow on it and allow the smoke to continuously emit its healing energy into your space.
- Cleanse each room with salt in the corners. Using any type of salt, this technique helps to suck up bad energy like a vacuum. Sprinkle salt into four corners of each room and allow it to sit for 48 hours. Then, sweep or vacuum up the salt and flush it down the toilet.
- Light candles to remove negative energy. For centuries, white candles have been used to remove negative energy from a space. They are also an easy and effective way to set the mood for peace and tranquility. Try lighting a candle to deepen your meditation practice, yoga, and other healing therapies.
- Add Fresh flowers. When you place fresh flowers in every room, it can add a fresh and naturally beautiful touch to your overall decor. It also shows that your home is a special and sacred sanctuary of love and happiness. After cleansing your home with sage and other cleansing tools, fill a glass bowl with water and decorate it with floating flowers that have had their stems removed. You can place them at the front door, on an altar, or on your kitchen table.
- Set up a healing grid with protection crystals. Go even deeper with cleansing by creating a protection grid with Black Tourmaline, which is known for absorbing negative energy from both people and things. To get the maximum benefits of Black Tourmaline, we advise placing a piece in each corner of a room. This will build a protective shield that blocks any negative energy from entering your space. An excellent stone for absorbing electromagnetic energy, Black Tourmaline should also be placed near your Internet router, television, computer, smartphone, and other electronic devices. Black Tourmaline will protect you from their harmful energy while also easing anxiety and depression. If you’re wondering how to get rid of negative energy in your body, try holding a stone in your hands and allow its healing properties to release any toxic vibes. You should also cleanse these protection crystals once a week, which will ensure that they stay powerful and activated. Place them in a bowl of filtered water and allow them to soak up the rays of the sun for at least 4 hours. You can also immerse them in the smoke of burning sage.
How to Get Rid of Bad Spirits in Your House
There are some rooms that might need more cleansing than others, such as a bedroom where someone is healing from an illness, an office filled with electronics, or an unexplainable heaviness in the air. In these instances, we advise using the Mason jar technique, a cleansing method that can also serve as an excellent alternative for those who can’t burn sage in the house due to sensitivities or apartment rules.
- Fill 4 Mason jars half full with spring water and add a few pinches of salt, which will help absorb toxins.
- Add a piece of Black Tourmaline and fresh sage to the water, a powerful combo for absorbing and neutralizing negativity.
- Place a jar in each corner of the room, which will create a grid that seals off and protects the room from negative energy.
- Every 24 hours, empty the water and rinse out the jars, especially if someone is recovering from an illness. Replace it with a fresh mixture of water and salt. Before placing the Black Tourmaline back in the jar, cleanse the stone with water or sage smoke.
How to Cleanse Your House with Healing Crystals
Understanding how to get rid of negative energy is vital for living your best life. Along with all of these effective cleansing techniques, healing crystals are another essential part of the process. For mind-body-spirit cleansing, healing crystals are some of the best remedies for balancing the home and body. Their crystalline structure is made up of atoms that repeat themselves over and over again, giving them a healing energy that falls in line with the steady rhythm of Earth. When the hectic pace of modern life throws you off balance, the healing energy of crystals can bring harmony back into your home with their high frequencies.
Amethyst: Add a peaceful and relaxing vibe to your home with Amethyst, which transforms negativity into vibrations of peace and love.
Selenite: Healing wands made from this pure gemstone are like the crystal versions of sage. When you place these on window sills, their light will help purify your space and also block bad vibes that can come into your home through the doors and windows. Selenite will fill your home with radiant, high vibrational energy and constantly purify the energy in your space for you.
How to Get Rid of Negative Energy in Your Body
Exercising and eating healthy is excellent for detoxing the body, but you also need to address the spiritual side of healing. If your energy feels particularly heavy, use these cleansing techniques to free yourself of lower vibrational energy that might be holding you back from living a full life.
- Meditate with crystals: If you feel stressed or anxious, come back into balance by holding a soothing and calming crystal such as Amethyst or Rose Quartz in your hand. Harnessing the energy of crystals and their healing properties, take a deep, cleansing breath. Visualize yourself inhaling pure white light and then exhaling any negativity that no longer serves you. Repeat this process until your mind, body and spirit feel cleansed and energized.
- Music: The magic of music is in its healing powers. If bad thoughts still persist after your cleansing practices, put them to rest with a playlist of your favorite songs. Playing an instrument is another way to connect with the present moment, especially since it requires you to concentrate on chords and notes instead of going down a rabbit hole of negative thinking.
- A purifying bath with crystals: Water can be very therapeutic when you enhance it with the purifying and rejuvenating powers of crystals and other energy tools For a luxurious healing bath, add a few drops of your favorite essential oils, and raw healing stones like Amethyst, Aquamarine, and Rose Quartz.
- Healing crystal facial: You can also use the healing properties of crystals to release tension that you hold in your face. Keep your complexion looking smooth and youthful when you use Amethyst, Celestite, and Fluorite on areas where you feel tension, such as your forehead and around the mouth. You can learn more from our blog about crystal facial grids.
When you incorporate these cleansing techniques into your everyday wellness routine, it will give you the support you need to keep your spirit and your space vibrating at the highest vibrations. Utilizing the specially designed cleansing tools from Energy Muse, get ready for a life-changing spiritual transformation.
- Black Tourmaline
- protection & Clearing
Heather Askinosie is a crystal expert and leading influencer on the power of crystals, Feng Shui and holistic healing. For nearly 30 years, she has been researching the scientific and spiritual aspects of energy. After studying with the best healers from all over the world, she has used the past three decades of her career to translate ancient wisdom into simple tools that anyone can use to transform their life. In 2000, she co-founded Energy Muse with business partner, Timmi Jandro. Energy Muse provides tools of empowerment and inspiration in the tangible form of jewelry and crystals. Her crystal teachings can be found in her book Crystal Muse: Everyday Rituals to Tune into the Real You as well as mindbodygreen, Well+Good, The Chalkboard Mag, and more. Learn more about Heather at energymuse.com.