A cup of soothing masala chai is the perfect anecdote for crisp evenings, holiday stress and lurking colds. Its healing properties have been used in Ayurveda, the Vedic tradition of naturopathic medicine that originated in India, for hundreds of years. The tea satisfies a sweet tooth, and the combination of medicinal herbs is known to lower anxiety and depression, boost immunity, improve digestion and reduce inflammation. A cup of this delicious, yet healing masala chai tea is exactly what you and your friends and family need to cozy up with this holiday season.
Masala Chai Tea Recipe
• 2 ½ cups water
• 1 ½- 2 cups milk of choice
• 1 cinnamon stick
• ½ piece of freshly grated ginger
• 2 cardamom pods, grounded
• 2 tablespoons of loose black tea (or one black tea bag)
• 3 whole cloves
• Pinch of ground nutmeg
• Pinch of ground black peppercorns
• 1-2 teaspoons of sweetener (Succanant, Turbinado, Coconut Sugar)
1. Bring water and spices to a boil.
2. Once the water is boiling, add in the tea and boil for another two minutes.
3. Lower the heat to a simmer, and add in your milk of choice.
4. Using a strainer, pour the chai into your favorite mug.
5. Sweeten to taste. Enjoy!
Since masala chai tea such depth of flavor, it makes it one of the best teas to use to practice a tea meditation. Take the time during these hectic days to thoroughly enjoy the simplicity of life. Make one in our Mindful Mug!