Living in a city, getting our food from markets, our water from sinks, and our nature from what we see on the television, it is easy to think of ourselves as independent from nature. We forget that we are dependent on, and part of, a network of living plants and animals from Earth to sky. Even if it seems you are surrounded more by cement than nature, nature exists all around you in the air you breathe, the sun that grows your food, and the moon that brings in the tides. In moments where you feel disconnected from nature, it is important to strengthen your bond by engaging in an intentional exchange with your surroundings.
Each full moon is the perfect time to rekindle your relationship with the Earth below you and the moon above you, and pay tribute to the universe that supports you—and who doesn’t love a little full moon bathing! There is no better time than during this astral anomaly to have partake in a ritual of moon bathing. This crystal ritual will focus on the release of bad habits, as well as the renewal of spirit and manifestation of positive tendencies. This all makes room for your full moon intentions to come to light.
To be most effective, this ritual, inspired by indigenous tribes, must be performed outside on a small patch of earth, under the light of the full moon.
Labradorite Moon Bathing Ritual
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh sage
- a mug
- 1 set of Labradorite palm stones or 2 Labradorite crystals of any kind
- 1 cup of boiling water
- optional: tobacco or cornmeal
- On the night of the full moon, boil a cup of water and place your sprigs of sage into the mug. Let the sage steep in the water for 11 minutes.
- It is important to cleanse yourself of the bad, before you bring in the new. As we work to establish healthy habits, we must first cleanse ourselves of the negativity we are trying to leave behind. We use sage to cleanse because it a natural purifier. As the water steams, it releases the negativity. With this in mind, take your hot water with sage and go outside.
- Under the light of the moon, bring the mug up to your face so you can feel the steam on your cheeks.
- Allowing the steam to wash over you, say a prayer to the spirit of the sage: “Dear spirit of the sage. I want to release any blocks that are holding me back.” State out loud what addictions, habits or negative patterns you would like to clear from your life.
- Release your prayer back into the Earth by pouring your water onto the ground beneath you. This represents the Earth taking your intentions, and in return, you nourish the earth. This is optional, but if you would like to give the Earth an offering, lay a handful of tobacco or cornmeal where you poured your sage water. This further establishes your bond with nature, and conveys your appreciation for all that it gives you with a small token.
- Grab your two labradorite stones, one in each hand. Take a moment to take in the moon’s glory, raising the labradorite to the moon so that your crystals can connect with her energy.
- As if your Labradorite was a bar of soap, rub them all over your body, as if you’re washing your body with the crystal energy. This action purifies your energy and connects you with the energy of light. It clears any negativity or stuck energy in your aura and energy field.
- Now, it is time to manifest the new. Say another prayer, this time to the moon: “Mother moon, please illuminate me. Shine your bright light on me. May it give me opportunity.” Holding your Labradorite, state your manifestations out loud. This allows you to not only get back in sync with nature, by engaging with outside elements, but also forces us to get back in sync with ourselves, by stating clearly what it is we want.