When we think of bright summer beach days, one of our favorite fruits comes to mind: watermelon! Summer is the perfect time to indulge in this fresh, juicy fruit, as it also delivers an abundance of nutrients, vitamins and minerals. It is SO hydrating, since it is made up of 92% water, and is naturally very low in fat.
Discover these 8 amazing health benefits of watermelon, thanks to Live Love Fruit:
- Improves blood circulation and can lead to stronger bones
- Reduces body fat
- Adds anti-inflammatory and antioxidant support
- Is a natural diuretic and eases strain on the kidneys
- Is a great electrolyte, which helps to regulate the action of nerves and muscles in our bodies
- Has an alkaline-forming effect in the body, reducing your risk of developing disease and illness
- Improves eye health
- Is full of vitamin C, which improves immune support, wound healing and prevents cell damage
We like to add a little spice to our Watermelon for a quick summer snack. Spice up your watermelon with a little chile, salt and lime! We found this recipe on the Kitchn and it is the perfect amount of spice. Give this a try and let us know what you think!
Watermelon with Chile, Salt & Lime
Serves about 5
1 tablespoon kosher salt or other coarse salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground chile pepper
zest and juice of 1 lime
1 (10-pound) watermelon, cut into wedges
Combine the salt, chile pepper and lime zest in a mortar and pestle. If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, you can finely chop the lime zest and then use a fork to mix it with the salt and chile powder.
Arrange the watermelon wedges on a platter and drizzle with lime juice. Sprinkle the chile mixture on top. Garnish with lime wedges and mint leaves, if desired. Serve immediately or refrigerate until its ready to serve!