Known as the goddess of destruction, Kali has the reputation of bringing abrupt endings. She will end any endeavors, beliefs or habits you’d like to release, but it might not be a smooth, seamless ending. She works in the way she wants. Call upon Kali when you need something to be released and then surrender to her power by not getting attached to things ending the way you might expect them to.
The Goddess Kali does not just destroy—she also creates. There is no destruction without creation, so be prepared to close one chapter and open yourself up to endless possibilities. Remember that if you call upon Kali, you cannot get caught up in the way things end, otherwise you may miss out on the new opportunities before you.
How to Honor the Goddess Kali
- Gather your Tibetan bells or a Tibetan singing bowl, a candle and a phone or computer to play music on.
- Find a comfortable seated position, light your candle and hold your bell or singing bowl around your third chakra, located between your navel and breastbone.
- Begin ringing the bell as you say what you want to let go of, and then what you’d like to bring in. The ringing of the bells will clear your own energy field and vibrate energy throughout a Kali mala or Kali bracelet, further encouraging surrender. Keep the release and desire general, remembering that you must surrender to the Kali energy.
- Continue ringing the bell for thirty seconds after you’ve stated why you’re calling on the Goddess Kali.
- Sit and practice a Kali meditation for as little or as long as you’d like while listening to the Kali Mantra. You may also chant the Kali mantra, OM Kala Vide Namaha, 108 times while using a Kali Mala Necklace.
Repeat this ritual for a designated period of time, between 10 and 40 days. It’s best to start this practice when the moon is moving from full to new, in the waning period. Goddess Kali meaning is also the knower of the right time, so remember that nothing happens over night and the endings and new beginnings will come in the right timing. Kali meditation will assist you in surrendering during the period of destruction and allow you to see the new opportunities that come your way.