French fries are delicious, especially when they are dipped in a zesty sauce. When I have friends over to kick off the barbecue season, one of my favorite appetizers to serve is these fool-proof French Fries with Green Goddess Dipping Sauce. The trick to getting French Fries that are soft on the inside and crispy on the outside is to double fry them. Soak, dry, drain, dry, drain and then fry again. I know, revolutionary, but it works every time. I found this recipe on The Pioneer Woman, and it is definitely my favorite of the ones I have tried.
The Perfect French Fries
Prep Time: 3 Hours | Cook Time: 30 Minutes | Servings: 8
Ingredients & Supplies:
5 pounds Russet Potatoes
Vegetable or Peanut Oil for Frying
2 Baking Sheets
Heavy Pot for Frying
- Peel and rinse the potatoes. Then, cut them into sticks buy cutting the potatoes in four or five vertical pieces, and then cutting each into sticks. Place then in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Allow them to soak for two or three hours. (You can also stick them in the fridge and let them soak overnight).
- After they have soaked, drain the water and lay them on two baking sheets, lined with paper towels. Blot them dry with the paper towels.
- Heat a few inches of oil in a heavy pot to around 300 degrees. In 3-4 batches, cook the potatoes for about 4 to 5 minutes per batch, or until the potatoes are soft. They should not be brown at all at this point! You just want to start the cooking process. Remove each batch and drain them on new and dry paper towels.
- Once all the potatoes have been fried at 300 degrees, turn up the heat until the oil reaches 400 degrees. When the oil’s hot, start frying the batches of potatoes again, cooking until the fries are golden and crisp. Remove the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle your French Fries with Sea Salt and enjoy!
Now for the Green Goddess Dipping Sauce. I grow my own herbs and vegetables and like to use them in a lot of my cooking to add a fresh pop of flavor. I love the freshness and creaminess of this classic Green Goddess Sauce. My personal favorite is one I found on Saveur.
Green Goddess Dipping Sauce
Makes 1/3 Cup
2 tbsp. Parsley
2 tbsp. Tarragon
2 tbsp. Scallions
2 tbsp. Chives
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
2 tbsp. Crème fraîche
2 tbsp. White Wine Vinegar
Salt and pepper
Combine all of the herbs in a food processor and blend until they form a smooth paste. In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, crème fraîche and vinegar. Add the herb paste to the mayonnaise mixture and stir to combine. Season as you like with salt and pepper. Then dip your perfect French Fries!