A birthday is a pivotal point in your personal year. Birthdays are not only a time for receiving gifts and getting together with family and friends; they are also a celebration of the past year. It is a day where you look back and reflect on your last year. You think about the things you want to change in the upcoming year and make plans to move forward, making this year the best year yet. Make your birthday extra special this year with this simple birthday blessing ritual! We like to do our birthday blessings alone, as a more personal ritual, but it can also be incorporated into a social gathering if you would like.
You will need the following items for your birthday blessing:
- A candle (choose any one of your choice)
- A sage cleansing set (contains a sage stick, abalone shell and large feather)
- Matches or a lighter
- A crystal point (choose your favorite, the one you feel the most connected with)
Follow these simple steps to set your intentions for your birthday:
- Sit down in a quiet place, like your sacred space. (If you have people with you for your birthday blessing, let them form a circle with you in the center). Light your candle. As you watch the flame flicker, remember the past year.
- Think of all the good things that have happened–the high points and low points–any major challenges. (If you are in a group, you can create a discussion about these memories, asking people to add their thoughts and memories about your year; little inside jokes and such).
- Thank yourself–and the universe–for all the joys and lessons learned in your past year. Say aloud, “I thank the old year and release it with joy. Now, I look forward to the new!”
- Smudge yourself and (if you have company with you) your friends and family, consciously releasing any negativity from the past year. Be conscious that this is a new start–a new beginning full of opportunity!
- Smudge your crystal point too, and dedicate it for the new year. Say aloud, “May this new year in my life bring me….” State your wishes and intentions for the next year. If you are with others, people can give you wishes or encouragement for the year ahead. You can also make your own crystal grid using your crystal point and your favorite crystals and stones to create a fun birthday grid!
- After you have set your intentions, you can write down your hopes and wishes for the year on a small piece of paper and place them underneath your crystal point so that it can constantly put that energy out into the universe.
- After this birthday blessing and quiet time, proceed with celebrating your birthday as you please!
This Birthday Blessing is from Jane Alexander’s, the Smudging and Blessings Book.